Friday, March 21, 2008

Calling Down The Thunder WIP


Calling Down The Thunder
Oil
18" x 24"
Stretched Canvas

I've painted a couple of smaller studies of this subject in watercolor and oil. Using those and the reference photograph taken at the Bell Pow Wow I have begun a larger painting. I have two tubes of WN Flesh paint that came with an Ebay purchase so I decided to see what I could do with them as far as mixing a closer skin color. To the Flesh tint, I have added in different piles, yellow ochre or Transparent Red Oxide or Burnt Sienna or Caput Mortuum Violet, along with Titanium white for different values. For the shadows I have added a bit of Ultramarine blue along with Caput Mortuum for a red purple shade or yellow ochre for a greenish cast. Not a lot of progress has been made on the painting as the figure is still appearing static. My plan is to bring more of a sense of movement and fluidity into the figure against a glorious stormy sky.

2 comments:

Deborah A. Léger said...

I'm so glad you're doing this one again! I loved the last one! This is going great, Ann. I'm certain that your plan will work out wonderfully. Love that sky and can't wait to see your next steps!

Are those rocks he's stood on? If so, or even if not, it looks beautiful.

Whatever you do, don't scrap this one, k?

Ann Buckner said...

Hi Deb, well this one has gone by the wayside too but I'm not giving up. I think really the figure was too small for the size canvas. Did some sketching of the indian again today, trying to improve.

Thanks for looking and the encouragement!