Friday, January 11, 2008

In Between



I'm coming to the realization that when a painting ends, I procrastinate beginning another. My eyes skim objects looking for that something that invites me to paint it, or I browse photos and look at other artists' work. Last night I gessoed a canvas and a couple of pieces of unstretched canvas, so that I can have more than one painting going at one time. I'm hoping to break this habit of piddling time away before beginning another painting.

This doesn't look much like a yo-yo but was practicing a different way of holding the pencil to sketch. It felt very awkard and uncontrolled. The pencil was a little short too but I will keep practicing. I know I held it with a death grip rather than lightly. Plus, I will hold the pencil closer to the blunt end and try to use my whole arm rather than just the hand.

No comments: