Monday, July 30, 2007

1949 Strawberry Queen



08-04-07 I have worked more on this painting, changing the lean of a couple of the figures, the shape of the building and creating a value change. I had to work on the right arm of the Queen as it was too short from shoulder to elbow, initially. I hope you enjoy this painting. I know I have enjoyed painting it and learning from it.













16" x 20" oils on stretched canvas. This photo was taken outside which causes a bit more blue in the gray clouds. I have taken several photos, inside and outside, and this photo shows the clarity of the face the best. Hopefully, this will be dry to touch by tomorrow depending on the humidity.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Strawberry Queen, WIP Update


I worked a bit more on the background shapes of the figures, changed the shape of the trees a bit. This one is slow going for me as I learn to manipulate the oil paint.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Strawberry Queen, Oils Work in Progress


1949 Strawberry Queen
16" x 20"
Oils
Work in Progress

I have this old black and white photo of the Queen, Patsy, for the 1949 Strawberry Festival. The festival is held annually and in 1949 the Queen was from my dad's strawberry patch.

Still have people and some background to block in as well as correct grass colors. I will work around the key figure for a day or sa while the paints set up. Right now I'm not very pleased with the way the large tree looks so may change its shape just a bit. It is challenging to work on the Queen's face which is a little over an inch in size.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Friday, July 20, 2007

Daffodils Still Life, Watercolor

Daffodils
10" x 7"
Arches Watercolor Paper
Watercolor

For this painting I used a reference photo from the Wet Canvas Reference Image Library, which is a great source for copyright free photos provided by the membership.

Daffs in Acrylic

Daffodils
5" x 10 3/4"
Acrylics
Arches watercolor paper

This painting was finished today. I had fun applying the textures to the daffodils and the bottles. My goal was to relearn how to hold the brush instead of with a tight grip plus study color.

Hope you enjoy it.

Buy Now

Pouting Dolls, Acrylic


10 1/2" x 12 1/2" acrylic painting on Arches watercolor paper. This was from a photo I took of two dolls that had been left behind in a vacated apartment. I placed the dolls on one of my grandmother's quilts for the color and the positioning of the folds.

This was painted for the Different Strokes project at Wet Canvas in the Acrylics Forum. Today is posting day for the members to place their interpretation of the photo.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Daffodil Study


Just a bit of practice with yellows and greens painted on a 5" x 10" piece of Arches cold press watercolor paper.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Pouty Dolls

Wet Canvas! Acrylics Forum has a monthly project where members paint from a photograph which has been posted on the 1st of that month. The paintings by the members are then posted on the 20th of the month. The dolls are the project for this month.

It is amazing how we each view the same subject differently. Some see these dolls as cute, some see them as sad or pouting while some see them as evil. It will be most interesting to view the paintings on the 20th to see the members' different interpretations.

For myself I see them as cute and pouting, expecting a tear to trickle down the cheek at any moment.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Riverbank Update


I added and darkened some of the tree trunks and the greens of the trees. Warmed up one of the rocks and added ripples to the water. Now it is signed and in the drying process.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Riverbank in Oils

Oils
12" x 16"
Stretched Canvas

I painted this quick landscape this evening from a reference photo provided by the Wet Canvas Reference Image Library.

"Pout" Sketch


A quick charcoal sketch of two dolls that look like they are pouting. The purpose of this sketch was to get a feel for the line and shapes of the dolls and the background quilt. To see how the folds of the quilt direct the eye to the dolls and how the light plays across the faces and the areas of the quilt.





The line sketch is just to practice quick lines eventually getting better at quickly sketching the essence of a subject. The area below the lips is actually part of a bow tied from the strings of her bonnet.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Splash!




I added a few more figures and took some away. Added more streaks of rain on the viewer's right. Then I put it in a frame to see how it looks.












20" x 16" acrylic painting on stretched canvas.
Photo reference used is from Wet Canvas RIL by tep394.

This is one challenging painting, trying to get the figure proportions, mix skin tones for so many different figures, do the folds in the clothing. All wonderfully fun and have learned a lot.

I used Cadmium Red Deep, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Light, Dioxazine Purple, Pthalo Turquoise Light, and Pyrrole Orange. I like to list the colors used for informational purposes, in case I want to go back to make more changes.