Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Lady Godiva

Lady Godiva by John Collier, ca 1897.

My brother-in-law jokingly asked me to paint him a copy of this painting. I am painting a small painting (4" x 5") but with variations as a joke on him, where very little of the horse and figure show. The horse is covered with the blanket and the figure covered with her hair except for small glimpses of skin. It may not turn out very well but it sure will be fun to see his expression.

I've been studying "Brushwork Essentials" by Mark Christopher Weber. It is a great book to learn how to load the brush and lay down strokes in a certain manner to render a certain effect. I have no doubt, with lots of practice, it will help with both acrylic and oils. With time and practice my goal is to be able to achieve the look I want without having to think about how to lay down the paint.

No comments: