Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sketch Studies



I am also sketching quick studies of noses, eyes and mouths. These are rough sketches and one thing I've noticed is that when I sketch everything is slanted. I understand looking at the drawing or painting in a mirror will make the slant more noticeable so one can correct it.





This sketch to the left is done from life. My very first! It doesn't look anything like the person but eventually that will happen, with time and practice.
















This is my first venture into studying shapes in a flat 2-D manner on my journey to learn composition. These were done by using charcoal to cover a sheet of paper, then a paper towel to smooth out to a mid-value. The shapes were placed with darks added and lights lifted out with a kneaded eraser. The purpose of this is to learn to place elements so that they are interesting and create a flow from one element to the next so the eye travels through a painting or drawing. (I'm not saying the ones I did this morning are interesting. Remember, I'm just learning.)

No comments: