Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Days Pass So Fast


Wow, it is hard to believe it has been almost a month since I posted anything. During that time, I have been painting but haven't completed anything worth sharing. I spend a lot of my awake time learning, reading, viewing artwork and yes, practicing.

For my upcoming birthday, I took a one day class from Jerry Yarnell. I am blown away by his landscape work which is even better in person but, you should see his figurative work. I like it just as much as I do his landscapes. I asked him to teach me to paint, to show me the paint/water mixture to get the fluid, creamy look he achieves, and my big question was how did he keep his acrylics moist. One thing that helped was acrylic palette paper. I had less trouble with my mixtures drying out when placed on the palette paper.

Jerry started me off learning to apply the gesso and blending to create skies. I had watched this on video but it made even more sense in person and with practice. Believe me, it does take a lot of practice to get the paint consistency, values and soft blended look. So yesterday, he showed me blended backgrounds for skies, clouds, and fir trees. If you ever get a chance to take a workshop with Jerry, I hope you take it. He is patient and really listens to what his students are looking for in a class or workshop. The photo is of Jerry sitting at the easel showing me how to get the clouds to look natural, soft and billowy.