Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Reptant (creeping)

11-01-31 I painted "Reptant" yesterday as my interpretation of insidious, creeping feelings representing fear based thoughts and beliefs. It is an original abstract watercolor painted on 5 1/2" x 11 3/4" Arches watercolor paper, with Stephen Quiller acrylic paints of Primary Cyan, Cadmium Yellow Deep, and Transparent Pyrrole Red Light.

I think of these feelings as fear based simply because they often keep one from going forward, making it difficult to begin a painting or make decisions. While my mind is subconsciously working through these feelings, I read art books, watch artists' videos, or view paintings in galleries and museums. Sometimes, all it takes to overcome these feelings is picking up a paint brush and laying down strokes of paint. That is how this painting began.